Photos importing sideways

Zarko (Zack) Starcevic

22 Nov, 2017 08:18 PM

I have a problem importing photos, whenever I import photos provided by my insured they do not import right side up as they appear in the source folder. Is there anything I can do to prevent this because it is very time-consuming to turn each photo individually after import? Also, I do not have this problem with my photos but do with all of the insured’s photos on multiple files. Please respond to this e-mail or call.

Best regards,

Zarko (Zack) Starcevic
All-Lines Adjuster

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chelsea on 26 Nov, 2017 06:21 PM

Hello Zack,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this - and I apologize for the delayed response due to the Holidays. Simsol does not have a function that will rotate a user's photos after the user imports them. Simsol simply mounts the desired photos as-is. Based on what you're describing, it sounds as though the photos which appear in Simsol as "rotated" were taken as such (landscape vs. portrait).

I assume the reason in which you're seeing these correctly when viewing them through Windows Explorer or a Windows gallery is that Windows, as well as many photo programs, offer auto-rotation features where an algorithm is used to recognize the "proper" orientation for ease of viewing. Here is a link to the Windows auto-rotation featuring being discussed on the Microsoft forums (I believe there are some instructions to disable this feature here as well if you wish): Windows photo viewer auto rotate

When we first came across this issue, we did some testing and it seems to mainly happen with users using iPhones to take their photos. We took photos in portrait, landscape with volume buttons facing upwards, and landscape with volume buttons facing downwards. The only photos that came out correctly oriented were the photos taken with the volume buttons facing downward (and home button to the right). Photos taken in the portrait orientation saved rotated 90 degrees, photos taken with the volume buttons facing upwards were flipped 180 degrees. We were unable to replicate this on Android phones or other miscellaneous cameras. After testing we did some research to find this is just by design of iPhones and while I haven't come across a 'fix' for it, there are some suggested Apps you can use to get around this. Take a look at this as it goes a little more in-depth: iPhones Importing Upside Down.

In the future, we hope to release the ability to mass rotate photos for users experiencing this issue. In the meantime, if you need assistance with anything else we'd be happy to help!

Kind Regards,
    Chelsea Balderson
    Director of Support

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO RESEARCH THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, AND USEFULNESS OF ALL OPINIONS, SERVICES, AND OTHER INFORMATION FOUND ON THESE SITES. SIMSOL ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ANY CONSEQUENCE RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FOR ANY ACTION OR INACTION YOU TAKE BASED ON OR MADE IN RELIANCE ON THE INFORMATION, SERVICES, OR MATERIAL ON ANY OF SIMSOL WEBSITES OR RESOURCES.

2. System closed this discussion on 03 Dec, 2017 06:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac