Simsol Support has Moved

Simsol's Support Center has Moved

Simsol Support is excited to introduce the new Simsol Support Center. The new Support Center provides all users of Simsol with free searchable guides and tutorials of various components of Simsol Products, a Community Forum and a place to submit tickets to our team. This portal will be updated continuously with self-help articles and solutions to trending issues users face. Check it out by going to simsolsoftware.freshdesk.com!

Read our Blog Post

Removing Old DBs from Simsol

Steve

28 Jun, 2013 11:24 PM

When we have to select a database to use we are presented with (for example) "SIMSOL/Craftsman Publishing, October, 2006" thru the most recent update. We'd like to pare this down to the last 2 or 3 years only.

I tried to archive these old (what I thought were) pricing tables but get a message saying that I cannot.

I looked thru your knowledge base and didn't see the method there. Am I missing something?

I found the folders containing the "GMT.06D" (etc...) files and see that they correspond to the available DBs listed within Simsol. Should I get everyone out of Simsol, remove the unwanted folders then do a DB repair? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Steve Pugh

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris on 01 Jul, 2013 01:24 PM

Steve,

Thank you for contacting Simsol support. You can maintain your GPT's list by going to the 'Manage' section of the ribbon menu and then selecting 'Delete Price Table' from the available options. You'll have the option to select the price table(s) you wish to remove and all you'll need to do is simply press "delete" once you've selected that table from the drop down menu.

I have attached a screen shot which illustrates where this component can be found from within the software.

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Regards,
    Ron

2. Chris closed this discussion on 01 Jul, 2013 01:24 PM.

3. Steve re-opened this discussion on 01 Jul, 2013 01:46 PM

4. 2 Posted by Steve on 01 Jul, 2013 01:46 PM

Good morning Ron,

We had already tried this. See screenshot of message we are getting.
    [cid:[email blocked]]

Thank you,
    Steve Pugh
    IT Manager
    Davis Claim Services, Inc.
    864-833-6360 ext 2004

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Chris on 01 Jul, 2013 01:57 PM

Steve,

Agh yes, the "standard tables", meaning the tables that are installed from our site and not custom tables created by the user(s). These actually are not able to be deleted through this front-end module. These would need to be deleted manually through the back-end (file explorer).

The tables that you're looking to remove, are they primarily Comm\Residential or are they pretty much all across the board? I would have to give you the correct DB.* folder name for the databases you were looking for. For example, the DB.0 folder is the commercial\residential folder.

As you mentioned previously, you can browse to the C:\Simsol\SFA\Data\DB.0 folder and locate all of the commercial\residential GPT's. Each of these GPT's will be named with the year and the quarter which corresponds. For example, "GMT.06A" would be 2006 - January as the 06 is the year and the "A" stands for the first quarter. Obviously we would then also have B, C & D as well.

There would be no need to perform a DB repair after this, there would be nothing to repair in this case. I would definitely advise that you make sure Simsol was closed before performing this however.

Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance with this.

Regards,
    Ron

6. 4 Posted by Steve on 01 Jul, 2013 05:53 PM

OK – thanks for the update Ron. Based on your info I will be deleting (see screenshot below);

From DB0 - GMTs;
    06d
    07d
    08c
    09a-d
    10a-d
    11a-d

From DB.1
    07c
    08-10a

Do I need to keep db.2 and db.4 at all?

From DB.5 all GMTs prior to 12A

From DB.6 all GMTs prior to 12A

[cid:[email blocked]]

Before I remove any of these I will manually archive all of them in case we need them in the future. If I have to add any of them back what will I need to do other than replace the folder(s) in Win Explorer with all content?

Thank you,
    Steve Pugh
    IT Manager
    Davis Claim Services, Inc.
    864-833-6360 ext 2004

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Chris on 02 Jul, 2013 05:02 PM

Steve,

Do not delete any of the actual DB files, only the GMT's contained within. I would maybe suggest highlighting all of the DB folders in the explorer view and crating a zip backup of them, this way the structure and files are all backed up.

You can do the archive thing as well and this will allow you to unarchive them should you ever need them. Additionally, unless they're custom DB's, you can always download them from our site again as well.

Ron

8. Chris closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2013 08:48 PM.

9. Steve re-opened this discussion on 12 Jan, 2017 10:11 PM

10. System closed this discussion on 12 Jan, 2017 10:20 PM.

11. Steve re-opened this discussion on 12 Jan, 2017 10:31 PM

12. 6 Posted by Steve on 12 Jan, 2017 10:31 PM

This is a rather dated thread but relevant to our current request. We are being told that the only pricing DBs we need in Simsol are the "Complete Building Repair Registry" and the "Commercial Heavy". Yet we are still having to dodge the "SIMSOL Commercial/Residential" and "SIMSOL Manufactured Home/Mobile Home Database" when setting up a claim (see attached "Simsol 7 pricing DBs.png" screenshot).

Is there a way to completely remove those choices so only the 2 required are presented in the dropdown?

I've also included a screenshot of the folder structure on the server that contain the pricing DBs ("Simsol 7 DB folders.png"). Can or should any of this be cleaned up in this process?

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Chris on 13 Jan, 2017 01:58 PM

Steve,

Firstly, you mention needing to have the Complete Building Repair Registry and the Heavy Commerical DB's; the inception of the Complete Building Repair Registry negates the necessity to have any other building databases as this is an amalgam of all three Craftsman DB's (Comm\Res., Heavy Comm. & Manufactured Home).

As for deleting databases, there is no user-interface method by which to delete the actual databases themselves only the pricing tables associated with each DB. This process was outlined in our discussion here previously. Furthermore, we do not recommend deleting entire databases if older claims are being stored on the system as the estimates contained within will no longer open on the system.

I would maybe consider setting the drawer preferences for each drawer to default to the Complete Building Repair Registry DB so that all claims created within will default to the selected DB\GPT.

Regards,
    Ron Murray
    Director of Support

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO RESEARCH THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS AND USEFULNESS OF ALL OPINIONS, SERVICES, AND OTHER INFORMATION FOUND ON THESE SITES. SIMSOL ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ANY CONSEQUENCE RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FOR ANY ACTION OR INACTION YOU TAKE BASED ON OR MADE IN RELIANCE ON THE INFORMATION, SERVICES, OR MATERIAL ON ANY OF SIMSOL WEBSITES OR RESOURCES.

14. System closed this discussion on 20 Jan, 2017 02:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac