Simsol Support has Moved

Simsol's Support Center has Moved

Simsol Support is excited to introduce the new Simsol Support Center. The new Support Center provides all users of Simsol with free searchable guides and tutorials of various components of Simsol Products, a Community Forum and a place to submit tickets to our team. This portal will be updated continuously with self-help articles and solutions to trending issues users face. Check it out by going to simsolsoftware.freshdesk.com!

Read our Blog Post

Cathedral Ceilings w\Wall Openings Calculates Wall Paneling Incorrectly

Patrick

15 Apr, 2016 07:00 AM

When you create a cathedral ceiling that has a wall opening, Simsol incorrectly calculates wall paneling sf, if the height is not set to full wall height. I even went to the cathedral ceiling tutorial and had the same problem with the example.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chris on 15 Apr, 2016 02:53 PM

Patrick,

Thank you for contacting Simsol Support. Would you be able to provide an illustration and possibly any other details regarding your findings? We'd like to be able to replicate the issue in-house for the development team and, if an issue does exist within the measurements component, address them properly.

Regards,
    Ron Murray
    Director of Support

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO RESEARCH THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS AND USEFULNESS OF ALL OPINIONS, SERVICES, AND OTHER INFORMATION FOUND ON THESE SITES. SIMSOL ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ANY CONSEQUENCE RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FOR ANY ACTION OR INACTION YOU TAKE BASED ON OR MADE IN RELIANCE ON THE INFORMATION, SERVICES, OR MATERIAL ON ANY OF SIMSOL WEBSITES OR RESOURCES.

2. 2 Posted by J. Patrick Mead... on 15 Apr, 2016 06:14 PM

I have multiple claims with this issue, so I’ve tested it. I also tested it out on the video tutorial that demonstrates how to draw a cathedral ceiling. It was 1am when I did this so it could be user error, but I don’t think so.

- Draw a 10’ L x 20’ W x 8’ H room with a 12’ cathedral ceiling 2’ along length

- Add an opening in the room 5’W x 8’H

- Remove the drywall to 2’ high in the room. Simsol says 90sf

- 2’ x (20’+10’+20’+10’) =120sf less 10sf for the opening = 110sf

- Click off of vaulted ceiling and drywall corrects itself to 110sf

3. 3 Posted by J. Patrick Mead... on 15 Apr, 2016 07:35 PM

The problem is in the “peak location along length” box. If you leave it at 0 for a vaulted ceiling, there is not a discrepancy. When you enter a number into this box calcs go haywire on wall SF of any height.

Opening issue is apparently totally separate, but it looks like an overpayment. If you want to see all the issues, put “replace base” and “replace drywall 1’0” high” in a simple room with no openings etc.. The numbers will start out the same. Then go thru and add some openings, cathedral ceiling, etc. and watch the numbers deviate up to 20% or more.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Chris on 15 Apr, 2016 08:29 PM

Patrick,

Thank you for providing the details in this example. The example you've provided here is actually something we are aware of and have, in the next major release, begun to address with dynamic calculations based on the users input.

The current calculating system uses total wall area to divide by a percentage\height which has proven to not be the perfect method for all scenarios. This computation is muddied when adding in missing walls, doors, windows etc. and is exacerbated when a wall height exceeds the eight-foot mark by way of the vault feature. The system is working with a whole of 100% without taking into account ground-up measuring, why spaces are being removed from the calculations and not to take those 1' or 2' deductions from the whole bur rather the affected space.

Our CEO and Chief System's Analyst is working on this himself to ensure that the component works seamlessly in all scenarios.

Thanks again for providing the examples and taking the time to report this to us. Hopefully the next 7 update will completely resolve this calculation issue for us all.

Regards,
    Ron Murray
    Director of Support

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO RESEARCH THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS AND USEFULNESS OF ALL OPINIONS, SERVICES, AND OTHER INFORMATION FOUND ON THESE SITES. SIMSOL ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ANY CONSEQUENCE RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FOR ANY ACTION OR INACTION YOU TAKE BASED ON OR MADE IN RELIANCE ON THE INFORMATION, SERVICES, OR MATERIAL ON ANY OF SIMSOL WEBSITES OR RESOURCES.

5. 5 Posted by J. Patrick Mead... on 15 Apr, 2016 09:18 PM

OK, thanks. I don’t think I understand how moving the location of the peak affects wall SF. Regardless of peak location, area of trangle is 1/2BH.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Chris on 18 Apr, 2016 02:15 PM

Patrick,

I've attached an illustration here which will, hopefully, explain why the peak loc. placement affects both walls and ceilings when set to '0' or '1...'.

Regards,
    Ron Murray
    Director of Support

7. Chris closed this discussion on 22 Apr, 2016 07:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac