iPhone Photos Importing Sideways

Jeff Moore

17 May, 2017 07:38 PM

My photos are uploading turned 90 degrees counterclockwise. They are in the correct position in the memory location but when imported they are off by 90 degrees. Is this a setting in the import tool?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Chelsea on 17 May, 2017 07:53 PM

Jeff,

Thank you for contacting Simsol Support. Simsol does not have a function that will rotate a user's photos after the user imports them. Simsol simply mounts the desired photos as-is. Based on what you're describing, it sounds as though the photos which appear in Simsol as "rotated" were taken as such (landscape vs. portrait).

I assume the reason in which you're seeing these correctly when viewing them through Windows Explorer or a Windows gallery is because Windows, as well as many photo programs, offer auto-rotation features where an algorithm is used to recognize the "proper" orientation for ease of viewing.

Below is a link to the Windows auto-rotation featuring being discussed on the Microsoft forums (I believe there are some instructions to disable this feature here as well if you wish):

Windows photo viewer auto rotate

Regards,
    Chelsea Balderson
    Director of Support

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO RESEARCH THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, AND USEFULNESS OF ALL OPINIONS, SERVICES, AND OTHER INFORMATION FOUND ON THESE SITES. SIMSOL ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ANY CONSEQUENCE RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FOR ANY ACTION OR INACTION YOU TAKE BASED ON OR MADE IN RELIANCE ON THE INFORMATION, SERVICES, OR MATERIAL ON ANY OF SIMSOL WEBSITES OR RESOURCES.

2. 2 Posted by Jeff Moore on 18 May, 2017 11:23 AM

Hi Chelsea,
    Thank you for the quick response. I read this and it might have some relevance but I am taking most of these photos with an iphone and then uploading to thumbdrive or One Drive. 95% of these photos were taken in portrait mode and if there was something specific about the landscape to indicate a need to rotate I could see this but, this is an issue with all the photos views that might be better viewed in landscape. Again, they all appear as taken on the camera( i phone,not windows), in explorer, in the viewer but only rotate on import. I can rotate in the SIMSOL import tool but this is very time consuming. I will research but will do some additional research. Please pass along any additional thoughts. JM

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Chelsea on 18 May, 2017 01:41 PM

Jeff,

We did some testing in the office this morning to see what may be happening between iPhone to Windows and to Simsol. It appears that Apple, in order to save processing time, does not correctly save your photo orientation when capturing in portrait mode.

We took photos in portrait, landscape with volume buttons facing upwards, and landscape with volume buttons facing downwards. The only photos that came out correctly oriented were the photos taken with the volume buttons facing downward (and home button to the right). Photos taken in the portrait mode saved rotated 90 degrees, photos taken with the volume buttons facing upwards were flipped 180 degrees. After testing we did some research to find this is just by design of iPhones and while I haven't come across a 'fix' for it, there are some suggested Apps you can use to get around this. Take a look at this as it goes a little more in-depth: https://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/

I hope this helps,
    Chelsea Balderson
    Director of Support

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO RESEARCH THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, AND USEFULNESS OF ALL OPINIONS, SERVICES, AND OTHER INFORMATION FOUND ON THESE SITES. SIMSOL ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR ANY CONSEQUENCE RESULTING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FOR ANY ACTION OR INACTION YOU TAKE BASED ON OR MADE IN RELIANCE ON THE INFORMATION, SERVICES, OR MATERIAL ON ANY OF SIMSOL WEBSITES OR RESOURCES.

4. 4 Posted by Gmail on 18 May, 2017 04:16 PM

Thank You Chelsea,

It is good to know it is not just me. I have typically treated the portrait mode by preference and hoped the iPhone would recreate that. Obviously not. Now I just alter to show landscape buttons down. I will explore these work arounds as well. Thanks for the investigation and I will let you know if I find a fix. Thanks again,

Jeff Moore

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Chelsea on 18 May, 2017 04:20 PM

Jeff,

No problem at all, let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Regards,
    Chelsea Balderson
    Director of Support

6. Chelsea closed this discussion on 18 May, 2017 04:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac